THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS
Designed by Henri Friedlander and printed at the Westerham Press, the a beautifully illustrated 1966 Limited Editions club Dead Sea Scrolls was issued in a strictly limited quantity of just 1500. That masterpiece is recreated in a magnificent Slipcased, Leather-Bound Edition that describes the contents of the Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in 1947 to 1956. Dating back as far as 3 B.C., this priceless collection of ancient manuscripts is invaluable to our understanding of the development of the Hebrew Bible and the beginnings of Christianity.
This Heirloom Edition is bound in deep cerulean leather with ornate, botanical borders, plus gilded page ends, silk moiré endpapers and satin ribbon marker. The spine feature a handsome, six-compartment design in 22kt gold with raised hubs and black title-labels.
8" x 12 1/4", 256pp
Features of this Easton Press Illustrated Edition include:
- Fully and tightly bound in genuine leather.
- Matching slipcase.
- 22kt gold accents deeply inlaid on the "hubbed" spine.
- Fully illustrated.
- Heavy duty binding boards enhance the book’s durability.
- Superbly printed on acid-neutral paper that lasts for generations.
- Sewn pages – not just glued like ordinary books.
- Handsome moiré endpages and a satin-ribbon page marker.
- Gilded page ends.
- Printed and bound in the USA.
- Rigorous inspection at every stage ensures adherence to our exacting standards.
- Superb craftsmanship and commitment to quality.
The landmark ancient biblical texts, authoritatively translated in a beautiful illustrated edition…
Exploring caves near the Dead Sea in November 1946, Bedouin shepherd Muhammed edh-Dhib discovered an ancient urn containing manuscripts. It would prove one of the greatest archaeological finds of all time.
Over the next decade almost a thousand biblical and sectarian texts, many only fragments, would be discovered in the Judean caves of Qumran, texts which have transformed our understanding of the Hebrew Bible, early Judaism, and the origins of Christianity.
In 1966 the Limited Editions Club created a stunning deluxe 1,500 copy illustrated edition of the first English translation of these groundbreaking discoveries.
Now, fifty years later, Easton Press is proud to present: THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS, a marvelous Collector Edition re-creation of the rare deluxe 1966 illustrated Limited Editions Club book.
The turbulent birth of modern Judaism and Christianity.
The oldest group of Old Testament manuscripts ever found, the Dead Sea Scrolls include at least fragments of all but one book of the Hebrew scriptures, many in versions surprisingly different from the standard texts. The scrolls also preserve books not included in the canonical Bible, as well as non-scriptural writings that document the dramatic diversity and dynamism of Judaism and early Christianity.
The first and still definitive translation of the scrolls was by Geza Vermes, until his death in 2013 the preeminent scholar of the Dead Sea scrolls and their era. Vermes also provides an authoritative introduction and commentary that illuminate the ancient texts, their authors, and the fascinating religious turbulence in Palestine during the centuries just before and after Christ.
For its 1966 book, the Limited Editions Club commissioned artwork from the renowned Israeli artist, Shraga Weil. Weil's 16 watercolors, eight of which are presented in a grand double-page format, and numerous line drawings are all superbly reproduced in the Collector Edition THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS.
Virtual Ring Sizer
1 Calibrate Your Screen
- Hold your credit card up against the screen.
- Resize the image below to fit the size of your credit card by dragging the red box at the lower right corner.
2 Choose Your Ring Size
- Hold your ring up to the screen and find a circle that completely fills the inside of the ring without overlapping.
- Click on the matching size circle.
- Then click on the green Select Size button.