Dante Alighieri's INFERNO
A hand-numbered, illustrated Leather Limited Edition of only 1,200...
Dante Alighieri’s masterpiece tour through the nine circles of Hell, translated by Clive James and featuring full-color works of art by artist Marc Burckhardt. Commissioned exclusively for this volume, the illustrations brilliantly display Burckhardt's eye for meticulous detail and sense of wonder.
- Oversized volume. 9" x 11", 256pp
Eight full-color plates, including a frontispiece, are hand-tipped in and protected by translucent overlays. The colophon page features full-color ornamentation by the artist; his illustrations serve as headpieces for each Canto. The slipcase bears a matching full-color plate and is lined in velvet.
Printed and bound in the USA.
An exclusive signed, leather-bound Limited Edition.
- Fully bound in genuine leather.
- 22kt gold accents deeply inlaid on the "hubbed" spine.
- Full-color images are exclusive to this volume, hand-tipped into the book and protected by translucent overlays.
- Beautifully marbled endpages in dramatic hues.
- Heavy duty binding boards enhance the book’s durability.
- Superbly printed on acid-neutral paper that lasts for generations.
- Sewn pages – not just glued like ordinary books.
- Golden satin-ribbon page marker.
- Gilded page ends.
- Rigorous inspection at every stage ensures adherence to our exacting standards.
- Superb craftsmanship and commitment to quality.
About the Artist
Marc Burckhardt is an American illustrator and fine artist. His work can be found in galleries, books, and album covers throughout the world, as well as the private collections of Oprah Winfrey, Ralph Lauren, Emily Proctor, Patricia Arquette, and the late Johnny Cash. His art has received awards from CA, American Illustration, and Graphis, as well as Gold & Silver Medals from the the Society of Illustrators New York.
About the Translator
Translated by eminent Australian poet and critic Clive James, who was born in Sydney, Australia, and educated at Sydney University and Cambridge University. James is the author of several collections of poetry and several novels. He has won Australia’s premier award for poetry, the Philip Hodgins Memorial Medal, as well as the George Orwell Special Prize for lifetime achievement. His translation of The Inferno "lets Dante’s poetry shine in all its brilliance", bringing a non-nonsense clarity, a solemn, tasteful touch, and an infusion of poetry to the masterpiece.
This Easton Press Deluxe Edition is printed on archival quality, acid-neutral paper specially milled for this edition that conforms to all guidelines established for permanence and durability by the Council of Library Resources and the American National Standards Institute.