H.G. Wells's THE WAR OF THE WORLDS
But there are no bacteria in Mars, and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our microscopic allies began to work their overthrow…
H.G. Wells's The War of the Worlds ranks among the greatest works of science fiction ever written. This leather-bound Deluxe Illustrated Edition of 1,200, features eight original illustrations by acclaimed artist J.P. Targete, using the digital techniques that have earned him high esteem.
Featuring eight hand-tipped plates, including a dramatic fold-out frontispiece spread of the Martian planet preparing for invasion, this exquisite leather-bound volume also includes 22kt gold accents, printed marbled end-sheets, and a colophon page specially illustrated and signed by the artist. The cloth-bound slipcase features a matching plate and is lined with crushed velvet to protect the leather cover. Printed and bound in the USA.
This product is currently out of stock.
- Oversized Edition (9" x 11", 256pp).
- Fully bound in genuine leather.
- 22kt gold accents deeply inlaid on the "hubbed" spine.
- Specially commissioned art exclusive to this volume, hand-tipped into the book and protected by translucent overlays.
- Illustrated and signed colophon page.
- Heavy duty binding boards enhance the book’s durability.
- Superbly printed on acid-neutral paper that lasts for generations.
- Sewn pages – not just glued like ordinary books.
- Printed marbled endpages and a satin-ribbon page marker.
- Gilded page ends.
- Printed and bound in the USA. Imported materials.
- Rigorous inspection at every stage ensures adherence to our exacting standards.
- Superb craftsmanship and commitment to quality.
Limited edition of just 1200.
Quotes from The War of the Worlds:
“No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water.”
“This isn't a war," said the artilleryman. "It never was a war, any more than there's war between man and ants.”
“For a time I believed that mankind had been swept out of existence, and that I stood there alone, the last man left alive.”
About the Artist
J.P. Targete is an accomplished digital and traditional illustrator, concept artist and art director. He attended the School of Visual Arts in New York and started working professionally at age twenty. With over 300 book covers, J.P. has been published in Spectrum and he is the winner of a prestigious Chesley Award.
This Easton Press Deluxe Edition is printed on archival quality, acid-neutral paper specially milled for this edition that conforms to all guidelines established for permanence and durability by the Council of Library Resources and the American National Standards Institute.